[mobile-devel] A new build of And Bible is now available

Martin Denham mjdenham at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 14:50:52 MST 2011

Hi,

*New Builds This Week*
I have built And Bible version
0.2.00rc1<http://and-bible.googlecode.com/files/AndBible-0.2.00rc1.apk>
for
Android which can be downloaded from and-bible
downloads<http://code.google.com/p/and-bible/downloads/list>.
 If you install this version I would be grateful if you inform me of any
errors you notice.  I plan to do some more testing and possibly create a
second release candidate this week and then do another build for App Market
either Friday or Saturday.

*User Interface Localisations*
This week would a good time for people involved in localisations to see if
they would like to do update the localisation.  Also if you have submitted a
localisation recently it would be a good time to check it and correct it if
necessary.  Then any amendments can be included with the build at the end of
the week.

*Changes in this version*

   - New Lithuanian, Finnish, Hebrew, and Faroese user interface
   translations (thanks to Linas, Jori, Michael and Sigurð) and updated
   Czech localisation
   - Navigation using grid
      - Slide to the required book/chapter and lift to go to it
   - Better Hebrew bible support
      - Right-to-left display
      - Vowel points and cantillations removed pending Android fixes to
      allow rtl display
   - Locally created indexes now have all the features of downloaded JSword
   - Update to latest JSword including full Java 5 code
   - Use short bible book names in the header when in portrait mode so they
   always fit
   - New splash screen background

*Grid Navigation*
I did not plan to do this until I realised that what people wanted seemed
similar to the Android keyboard so after using keyboard code in an early
prototype I rewrote it to avoid some bugs and now I think it works okay.
 The list navigation is still accessible by changing a Setting but it may be
removed in a future version.

*Hebrew*
All the Hebrew documents should now look okay right-to-left but Android
currently has problems with vowel points so I had to remove them.  There is
also a new Hebrew localisation of the interface but it needs to be tested to
ensure Android rtl support is sufficient.

*Indexing*
The original local index creation seems faster and much improved due to
updates in JSword and other libraries.  Locally created indexes should now
have all the features of downloaded indexes.  I am hoping to use the indexes
to list all occurrences of a Strongs reference as recently discussed on the
Sword mailing list and this is only possible with the index functionality in
the new or downloaded indexes.

*Version Number*
The version jumped from 00.00.17 to 00.02.00rc1 because it didn't seem right
to stay on minor point increments and not mature enough for 1.0.0.

Kind regards
Martin