[mobile-devel] French translation

Dominique Corbex dominique.corbex at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 15:29:19 MST 2010

On Wed, 2010-11-24 at 09:55 -0500, Mario Bertrand wrote:
> Hi,
>
> IMHO, the advantage of launchpad is the centralisation of all the
> translation progress. It's easier for a developer to follow. Anyone can
> jump in it without much knowledge and doesn't need any particular tools
> to do the job. And if a translator is not available for a long period of
> time, someone else can continu from where he left. You can also have
> more than one translator for the same language. There is a lot of
> benefits from a collaborative work.
>
> Since And Bible is in it's early beginning, it could be an asset for
> it's futur development.

Hi,

IMHO, the only benefit of Launchpad is as you wrote "Anyone can
jump in it without much knowledge and doesn't need any particular tools
to do the job", others are not, you can do the same with .po or similar
files. Translating is really a boring and tedious process, so a tool
that saves you time and offer some hints about the translated string is
a winner, emacs combination with po-mode and text-translator is the best
I found and I do not mention the fact I may continue translating strings
while not connected to the Internet.

Launchpad and a dedicated editor are different ways in which translators
can get the job done, but they target different users. I suggest using
both is the way to go. But don't expect to ask me how to setup a
Launchpad account, I know nothing about this.

domcox