[mobile-devel] Questions related to Android bible development

Dirk Kaiser dkaiser at pactec.kz
Fri Jul 16 11:02:39 MST 2010

Hi Martin,

I've been following your work over the last few weeks and wanted to chime in
with my opinion.  I work for a missions organization in Central Asia to give
you perspective on who I am.  In our part of the world, persecution is the
norm for believers.  Past projects of min included creating GoBible versions
of the bible that can be hidden on a phone when examined by the secret
police or Muslim family members.  It has been really successful and
beneficial to the believers there.  So, my comments below are in line with
my previous intentions to do the same sort of thing with an Android bible.

Since you have started working on a project already, I would love to join in
with you to work on those aspects of the program where I could add in those
types of security layers necessary in my part of the world, work on helping
to create a translatable interface, and of course testing.  I'm real busy
right now, but would hope to help out in a few months.

I really don't have much to add about the license other than I've always
used the Apache 2 license which lets anyone do anything with the code.

As far as the app name goes, I would strongly urge you to NOT use something
with the term 'bible' in it.  That term is offensive to many parts of the
Muslim world and obviously would make it difficult to hide the fact that you
have a bible on your cell phone if the word bible was there.  Can I suggest
the use of 'scripture' instead which actually is a very appealing term for
Muslims?

Looking forward to when you release the source on SVN so I can help out.

- Dirk