[mobile-devel] Android bible

Martin Denham mjdenham at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 12:38:33 MST 2010

Thanks SonWon,  That is useful input and thanks for encouragement.

1. I used Pocket e-sword for years and tabs for bible/commentary etc is the
approach Pocket e-sword used but it uses a whole row and I found I normally
just used 2 tabs (bible & commentary) so I was planning to initially have a
bible/commentary button on the main menu bar (as you suggest at the end of
point 1).
2. I have already switched to using a standard menu on my own local build
after playing with Troy's Bishop.  I have only just got an Android phone and
never pressed the Menu button!!!
3. I am not sure how to best fit book/chapter nav on one screen.  I
initially tried and failed to copy Pocket e-sword's nav, but list items are
so big on the Android  I have thought of putting the books into a grid, but
then that still leaves up to 150 chapters.  All ideas appreciated.  I am
currently thinking of 2 tabs - tab 1 containing a grid of books and tab 2 a
list of chapters.  Alternatively I could have 3 tabs
Document/BibleBook/BibleChapter.  That would also remove the Document button
from the menu.

Did you realise you can drop other books from the CrossWire site into the
appropriate place under the jsword dir on the sdcard and after restarting
AndBible you can view them.

I need to select verses to enable display of the correct commentary verse
associated with the currently viewed bible passage and I was considering
auto verse calculation based on the current distance scrolled down the
ScrollView - that is something I can play around with.

Last weekend I managed to increase speed considerably by bypassing some slow
DOM creation code - now I just need to work around a couple of bugs but most
docs/chapters display fine.

I am hoping my youngest daughter will create a splash screen for the app to
distract users from the slowish start up time.  Also new  name
"and-the-word" instead of "AndBible".  What do you think?  It obviously
comes from John chapter 1.  I thought AndBible was a bit obvious.

Best Regards
Martin