[mobile-devel] SwordReader - performance update

David Trotz dtrotzjr at crosswire.org
Wed Jul 23 07:56:26 MST 2008

Guys,
Troy made some optimizations to the sword engine. Now as a result we are
getting about a 60% increase in performance when rendering text. Most
anything opened in KJV with only words of Christ turned on is nearly
instant. Most of you probably saw my post on sword-devel regarding this.

We still have a ways to go however because opening Psalm 119 using the
ESV module with all options on takes 13s! I am hoping to make some
progress on this front this weekend. If you guys could just lift up a
prayer for me as I make plans on how to deal with this. It pretty much
boils down to only initially loading the text the user has requested,
and then loading the rest of the chapter in the background so that its
there when they ask for it. I really want to avoid drawing a busy icon
while it loads, and would rather the delays be as transparent as
possible, but that is going to be tricky.

In Christ,
David Trotz