[mobile-devel] SwordReader CAB 090alpha2

David Trotz dtrotzjr at crosswire.org
Fri Aug 1 13:40:55 MST 2008

Guys,
A new build has been posted. Again this is a very experimental alpha build.
Changes for 090alpha2 include:

- Added demand/background loading
- Fixed verse header being off by one verse.
- Added the paging ability when using the navigation buttons.
- Finished adding the paging for SmartPhones into the number chooser.
- Adjusted some button sizes as necessary for my Motorola Q9m. If these sizes are too large for some platforms, we may need to use some compile time switches.
- Added color to differentiate between OT and NT. Adjusted button size a little more. Need to add a config screen for these settings.
- Fixed the bug that would allow two instances of the app. Now a single instance is always enforced.
- Added visual feedback about the book/chapter/verse being selected.
- Made button widths in the choosers reflect the width of the currently selected font in the device context. This is the first step towards allowing user selected font sizes on the interface
- Fixed issue #0000008 which dealt with the NumberChooser being confused when going from a book w/ a large number of chapters to a book with few.
- My fix resulted in my addressing issue #0000009, in which the NumberChooser now reflects the currently selected chapter/verse.
- Some restructuring of SRMainFrame. Now SRModuleView takes some responsibility off of SRMainFrame, and pulls together the functionality of SRTextView, SWModule and VerseKey. Much needed for demand loading.
- Fixed issue 0000020 (Scrolling, by tap and drag at top of chapter erroneously changes verse)
- Progress bar during background loading looks better now and remains while scrolling the text.

You may experience times when the application completely freezes, use task manager to kill the application if this happens. This may be due to a deadlock condition in my multi-threading scheme. Its extremely important that if you do manage to deadlock the app, that you can reproduce it and give me the steps as to how.

You are free to do anything you want while background loading (its encouraged), just be aware of a couple of things:
Currently there is no check in place to make sure that when scrolling down there is actually text to be displayed (i.e. the background loading has not gotten that far yet) If you do scroll faster than can be loaded you will see blank spots on the page until you scroll back. I plan to deal with this soon. Scrolling does lag a bit when the progress bar is showing (i.e. its loading text in the background) I may bump the background loading down one priority to give scrolling a higher priority and make it more fluid.

Please test away. Post all bugs to http://mantis.swordreader.org (registration required)

http://www.swordreader.org/builds/pocket_pc/SwordReader_PocketPC_090alpha2_08012008.CAB
http://www.swordreader.org/builds/smartphone/SwordReader_SmartPhone_090alpha2_08012008.CAB

In Christ,