[jsword-devel] Java on the Mac

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Thu Oct 21 11:09:42 MST 2010

On 10/21/2010 01:31 PM, Manfred Bergmann wrote:
> Sounds scary at first but I don't think that's a big deal.
I hope you are right. The optimist in me suggests that it may actually
better for Java to be set free, but at core I'm a cynic and a pessimist.

I was thinking of submitting Bible Desktop to the new Mac app store as
an additional distribution mechanism, but they won't allow Java apps.

> I guess there will be community released Java JREs/JDKs for Mac coming with installers.
I think this will happen and will fill the server-side/enterprise need
(e.g. java webapps). It should also satisfy the complaint against Apple
that they are too slow with updates.

But for a client-side application, it needs to look like an Apple Mac OS
X app, not a Java app. I'm not sure the community will be able to pull
off that one.

> Apple discontinued the Java-ObjC bridge for quite a long time and I don't think there is much that Apple does anyway to the JRE.

IMHO: The biggest plus that Apple provided in their implementation was
the LAF - Look and Feel. If you look at the release notes you'll see
lots of UI changes and more hooks into Mac OS X's native framework. To
me, the forward looking statements in the release notes are confusing.
Why put in all the effort of improvement just to pull the plug?

With some effort it is possible to have a Java application look like a
native Apple application. At Java One, I learned some new things to do
in that arena.