[jsword-devel] trunk does not compile

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Sun Feb 21 11:37:28 MST 2010

On Feb 21, 2010, at 12:42 PM, trent.jsword at trentonadams.ca wrote:

> Yeah, I was going to look at getting those web ones working with maven too.
>
> What are the rest of the modules for?
> - limbo

limbo is code that was not used or was replaced. The only thing we do with it is make sure it compiles.

> - support - just dependencies?

Support contains QA stuff such as findbugs, checkstyle, pmd, .... We run those to ensure the quality of the code. This is used by jsword-web and can probably be merged into it.

> - javatar - just a dependency?

The packaging of java tar had a problem in it's manifest preventing it from being used via JNLP/WebStart. It might not be needed anymore. We build the jar with it and then use that.

> - incubator - ???

A place that anyone can park code regarding JSword that they find interesting. In there you'll find JSword packaged as Eclipse plugins. I'm pretty sure it is stale.

> - common-aqua - I've provided a profile in the new base pom to compile common-aqua on mac os x.  You need to modify it to have the proper os name, as I don't know what that is for java/mac.  I also created one in bibledesktop pom, to make it a dependency if on a mac; again, same thing, you need to modify it.  And presumably, we would do all releases on the Mac?

We do all releases as well as a nightly build from the CrossWire server. I do package the dmg on the Mac and check it into SVN. Nightly we merely zip the Mac app with the new jars.

> - biblemapper -???

This is a very old project and looks cool, but I can't make out what exactly it is. It looks like it takes the verses of the Bible and creates a relationship tree. Like limbo, we just make sure it compiles and also that it runs.

> - bibledesktop-web - i'll look at this and the next one
> - jsword-web

These two build the websites: www.crosswire.org/bibledesktop and www.crosswire.org/jsword, respectively.

From an ant perspective, these also drive the building of the rest of the projects.

> p.s.
> Don't rack your brain with maven problems, it's not worth your time; you might as well use me as a resource for now.  If you have a problem, ask, and I'll get back to you ASAP.  I'm logged in to freenode all the time as TrentonAdams, so if you want to /query me, go ahead.  If I'm not around, I'll respond when I get back.

Thanks. I really appreciate what you are doing.