[jsword-devel] maven vs ant

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Sat Feb 20 16:45:19 MST 2010

On Feb 20, 2010, at 6:12 PM, Trenton D. Adams wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Is there a particular reason that the jsword project is still using ant?  Is it just a time commitment issue, preference issue, etc?
Mostly it was a time issue. We've talked about doing it, but no one was sufficiently motivated to do it.
During the early days of Maven 2, there was not much support for it in Eclipse. Hopefully that has changed.
Also the parts that JSword/BibleDesktop uses were not being maintained in Maven. Much of it is now.

> I'm fairly experienced in maven, and was thinking of making poms for it.  This would allow other developers using maven to easily grab just the stuff they want from the jsword project, via the maven repositories.

Go for it.

> It appears that most of the directory structures are maven compatible.  So, if all goes well, ant could remain in place, as is, which would provide for an easier transition period for other developers.

Joe and I restructured JSword's projects to be inline with Maven's expectations. So that we could get there some day.

Keeping ant would be good. But there's no love lost if how it works changes. Ant has progressed quite a bit and there are undoubtedly easier ways to create build dependencies between sub projects.

In Christ,