[jsword-devel] Maven, ant, ivy, etc.

Chris Burrell chris at burrell.me.uk
Sat Dec 11 04:29:42 MST 2010

Hi All

There are Ant fans, Maven fans. People who want to use Ant with Ivy. I'm a
Maven fan. And think everyone should go the Maven way for all the benefits
it provides!

However, it's quite a big decision to move from one to the other and I don't
think both work together very well, as one has to maintain 2 builds (which
as we've seen can be difficult - the maven currently being broken). Clearly
lots of people use Ant and aren't familiar with Maven (I was like that). Can
I suggest a compromise:

http://maven.apache.org/ant-tasks/examples/write-pom.html
http://www.jonnyreeves.co.uk/2010/01/automatically-generating-a-maven-pom-file-with-ant/

The main idea behind maven is that like Ivy is can do your dependency
management. The POM file describes the project, the type of file associated
with it (jar, war, sources, etc.) and all its dependencies. I think the
above link would be a good compromise.

It tries to generate the POM from what it knows of the Ant build, and then
deploy to a repository. Would someone be willing to see if they can get that
working in the ant build (i'm not very familiar with that). And I'll see if
we can a maven repository set up somewhere external so that projects
currently using Maven and JSword can download releases straight from
there...

In summary,

   - let's continue using Ant to build JSword.
   - For those people who prefer using Maven (me), let's ensure they can
   build the maven POMs and JSword library easily locally,
   - and better let's try and have the JSword libraries deployed widely on
   the common Maven repositories.

Chris