[jsword-devel] HTML Browser for BibleDesktop

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 12 15:15:30 MST 2008

In BibleDesktop we use a JTexPane to display HTML. So we have looked
at various options over the years. Perhaps the most comprehensive look
was by Joe Walker in 2004:
see: http://www.crosswire.org/pipermail/jsword-devel/2004-March/000689.html
In this post Joe mentioned:
JTextPane, JRex, Jazilla, JXWB, IceBrowser, SWT and a few others.

JTextPane under Java 1.5 is still lame.
JRex's latest release was 1/2006 and does not work under Windows.
Jazilla is dead.
JXWB is dead.
IceBrowser not "open"  nor free.
SWT is excellent but would require a re-write of our current code base.

Since then there are a few more: Lobo, JDIC and MozSwing.
FlyingSaucer https://xhtmlrenderer.dev.java.net/
MozSwing http://sourceforge.net/projects/mozswing and demo at http://jnlp.concord.org/dev/mozswing/mozswing.jnlp
  (big download)
JDIC https://jdic.dev.java.net/
Lobo http://lobobrowser.org/java-browser.jsp

JDIC, looks to be nearly dead and has huge memory leaks. The others
look somewhat promising. Though Lobo doesn't look like it fits with
Swing (which we use) but rather AWT (which we don't).

An interesting site regarding embedding mozilla (aka XUL) : http://xul.sourceforge.net

Our current plan is to use SWT. But I hope to look into these some
more to see if they integrate well into what we have now.

Any others?