[jsword-devel] Alkitab Bible Study 0.9 released

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 10 12:11:37 MST 2008

webmedic wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 11:32 AM, DM Smith <dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
> <mailto:dmsmith555 at yahoo.com>> wrote:
>

>     To really get Java to shine with RTL, you will need to ditch Swing.
>     (BD still uses Swing.) Swing has poor bidi algorithm and rtl
>     rendering. It's handling of joiners in fonts is poor also.
>
>     Our plan for BD is to use an embedded browser. Ideally it would be the
>     same on all platforms (e.g. Mozilla's xulRunner or WebKit), but we may
>     end up with IE for windows, xulRunner for Linux and WebKit for Mac.
>

> I know that it may not be desirable but JRE 6 beta 10 if I remember
> correctly has webkit built in now.
>
> So it will be much easier to use webkit but will require 6.10 when it
> comes out.

That's cool. I'll look into it.

The only problem for us is that Mac does not have Java 6 for PPC or Dual
Core (only Core 2 Duo and only for Leopard). Our stance on backward
compatibility, prevents us from going past Java 1.4.2 (Tiger's highest)
for a bit longer.

The basic idea was to support the current and previous OS for Windows,
Linux and Mac. But that is a complicated picture now.

Users are skipping Vista. So do we count it? (Fortunately, Java 5 works
for Win98+, but Java 6 is limited to XP+).

On the Mac, hardware now enters the picture. IMHO, 4 year old hardware
should not be abandoned. My Mac Mini (early 2006), is core duo and
cannot run Java 6.

Linux is easy. Use the latest!

We may have a number of minor releases before we release
BookMarks/Personal Commentary/... for the major Elephant release. My
take is thenBD will have all the fundamental features that anyone will
want. After that, we'll work on a new UI with the browser change and it
will require the latest and greatest version of java for each platform,
hopefully Java 6.10+.

In Him,