[jsword-devel] Efficient Bible Text Storage Formats

Joe Walker jsword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 09 Jan 2004 07:34:48 +0000

Erik Reitsma wrote:
> Perhaps the JSword experts could shed a light on whether it would be wise
> to make an API to this format that can replace the XML-reading of JSword.

I'll be quick because I'm just going away for a few days - I don't think
it would be wise to replace, but if there is interest, then I would say
we could suppliment the XML reading with a plain text reading.

In my opinion if you do things like strongs numbers, etc then XML is
sensible even if you use a special light-weight parser rather than JAXB.
However I can see the need for Bible text on smaller devices where there
isn't space for these advanced features.

I'll think about how I would do text based modules, but I would totally
leave it up to you guys to implement - I have enough to do with getting
the rest working!

Joe.