[jsword-devel] PersonalJava version of JSword

Joe Walker jsword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 07 Jan 2004 23:38:37 +0000

Aleksander Rozman - Andy wrote:
> We could use plain text file (maybe zipped) and ditch whole xml stuff.
> Then we would have to have OSIS 2 Text converter (not on portable device
> but on desktop computer from which we install). We would just need to
> create driver to read this. Text files could be formated in special way,
> for example we could use one file per book from bible, each line in text
> file would have a code in front of it, we would reperesent chapter and
> line (for ex. 01-01, for chapter 1, line 1), searching could be done
> very simple, with either index file (where it's shown how many lines has
> chapter) or some alternate way...

But how would you then do strongs numbers, or quotations, or references,
or etc.

I think OSIS makes sense, and it's XML...
As a measure of how much it makes sense to use XML, all the Bible
formats are close to XML, OSIS is XML, THML is XML, GBF would have been
XML (it is very close) but I'm fairly sure it predates XML.

Joe.