[jsword-devel] PersonalJava version of JSword

Aleksander Rozman - Andy jsword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 07 Jan 2004 00:37:13 +0100

At 1/6/2004, you wrote:
>Aleksander Rozman - Andy wrote:
>>You would probably have to rewrite jsword.view.swing.desktop... Here is
>>most of the GUI. You would probably have to use awt or special graphical
>>classes, right? I think that quite a lot of code would have to be
>>rewriten. You must keep in mind that bible is very big about 3mb compressed...
>
>This tweaked a memory cell or 2.
>There is a module driver called RAW (an alternative to Sword modules) that
>was designed to save space using dictionaries. I managed to get a Bible
>text down to 1.5 Mb, however the code hasn't been touched for a long time
>and certainly requires some work.
>
>Joe.

We could use plain text file (maybe zipped) and ditch whole xml stuff. Then
we would have to have OSIS 2 Text converter (not on portable device but on
desktop computer from which we install). We would just need to create
driver to read this. Text files could be formated in special way, for
example we could use one file per book from bible, each line in text file
would have a code in front of it, we would reperesent chapter and line (for
ex. 01-01, for chapter 1, line 1), searching could be done very simple,
with either index file (where it's shown how many lines has chapter) or
some alternate way...

Just an idea...

Andy