[Ichthux-devel] Sword texts

Daniel Glassey wdg at debian.org
Thu Nov 30 05:15:16 MST 2006

On 30/11/06, Raphaël Pinson <raphink at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/30/06, Daniel Glassey <wdg at debian.org> wrote:
>
> > On 30/11/06, Justus at piater.name <Justus at piater.name> wrote:
[packaging more sword modules]

> > IMHO the non-Debian installation is so easy now that they aren't
> > needed. When I first made the packages I agreed that they would be
> > enough because any more would be too much data to add to Debian. Also,
> > some of the modules can only be distributed by crosswire because of
> > the licences.
> > Since them some other people have made modules for non-english texts
> > which have been accepted into Debian but those need to be done on a
> > case bycase basis.
> >
> > Afair the Ichthux team might be packaging some more modules for their
> > distro so hopefully you can help them. I've cc'd them for ideas.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Daniel
>

> Thank you for forwarding this Daniel.
>
> Indeed, we have been packaging more modules in Ichthux. There are various
> reasons to do that.
>
> Although the non-Debian installation (bookshelf manager in Bibletime for
> example) is very easy, it doesn't allow to install modules system-wide
> easily, so each user has to download their own texts and install them in
> ~/.sword, which can obviously a space issue, especially on systems shared by
> a lot of users (in a church for example). Another approach might be to set
> /usr/share/sword to belong to the sword group, let users in this group add
> to it and add this location to sword.conf...

Or to have something like /opt/sword as an extra install place that is
group readable.

> Using packages also allowed us to create language packs for sword modules. I
> have created a sword-language-packs package that generates metapackages for
> each supported language. These packages are then used in language-selector
> to install sword texts in a language when the support for this language is
> selected and libsword6 is installed.
>
> Eventually, it was also necessary for us to use packages to install sword
> texts by default in Ichthux a proper way.
>
> @Justus: I'd be happy to see the packages we've done in Ubuntu be included
> in Debian, and to see more modules packaged.

btw the first thing you need to find is a Debian developer to be a
sponsor for the packages who will be responsible for checking the
packages and uploading them to Debian.

@Raphael: could you put a list of the sword modules packaged in
Ichthux onto the wiki? I can't remember if you have said that you
checked the copyright on each of them to make sure you aren't
distributing modules by mistake that can only be distributed by
crosswire, but double-checking does no harm. I'm sure most of the
copyright holders for those modules would be happy to give permission
for Ichthux to distribute them as well, but just remember that that
isn't DFSG free.

btw I agree that packaging modules is a good idea for Ichthux.

Regards,
Daniel