[Ichthux-devel] Penguin in the Pew Available

Don Parris evangelinux at thefreelyproject.org
Thu May 5 08:48:13 MST 2005

On Thu, 5 May 2005 11:13:22 -0300
Ben Armstrong <synergism at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/4/05, Troy A. Griffitts <scribe at crosswire.org> wrote:

<SNIP>

> > Thanks for the interaction.  I enjoy exploring these principles _on
> > occasion_.
>
> I don't mind exploring them from time to time.  I recognize it is a
> big headache, though, for many people.  Licenses are like computer
> languages, it seems: they are necessary evils we have to use in spite
> of their flaws, and we're always irritated by those flaws and are on
> the lookout for better ones.
>
> Ben

The advantage of a list like this, though, is that we can usually resolve
most challenges without the name-calling that occurs on other lists.  I
enjoy good, raucous debates as essential to any dialogue of value.  After
all, that's one way we learn.  Part of the goal of PitP is to engage the
greater church on the question of licenses we choose to agree to (or release
software under).

Some of my arguments could well be flawed.  However, the idea is to invite
the universal Church to a dialogue, to engage people to think a bit more
critically before blindly accepting the status quo, as we often do when we
click the "I Agree" button at the EULA point. If my arguments spark the
dialogue on a wider scale, then I have accomplished my goal.  If PitP also
persuades others to migrate to FOSS, that's even better! :)

Blessings,
Don
--
evangelinux    GNU Evangelist