[Ichthux-devel] About CrisTux

Igor TAmara igor at tamarapatino.org
Fri Jun 10 05:42:45 MST 2005

Hello, this is my first message to the list, I came to Ichthiux
redirected from the DWN, and worked a little with translations to
spanish.

Raphael told me there was a project called CrisTux[1], and I joined too to
it, at the moment I see CrisTux as an opportunity for spanish speakers to
use Ichthiux.  CrisTux also has a ubuntu based livecd.

1.http://www.cristux.org

CrisTux is still defining itself, but there have been announces on
barrapunto (something like slashdot in spanish) and many people have joint
recently.

The main problem for CrisTux is that there is no bible in spanish as a
module in sword with the books that catholics use(Spain and LatinAmerica
are mostly catholics).  This is not a new problem, many other projects
in spanish have found this, but none, as far as a I know, have done
anything else than complaining about the situation.

To address this we are composing and sending a letter to ask for
permissions to use digitalized versions of the books, and see if we can
use sword to include them as the holy bible for catholics.  But the work
doesn't end there, because we would like to make modules with the
cathecism, and other books that would be of interest for priests and
others.

In a chat the last monday we saw the opportunity to make a wikibible, in
order to translate the bible from the sources to other languages. At the
beginning it would be possible to take the public domain versions that
project gutemberg has, to begin with translations, a hard work that could
be done. Certainly, it would take time, but that could be done with the
help of volunteers.  If the wikipedia can grow, why a project like this
couldn't?

BTW, thanks a lot to all of you that made Ichthiux possible, I'm giving
copies of the Valenciana version to friends ;)

--
Software de libre redistribución y Educación en Colombia
http://wiki.slec.net