[Ichthux-devel] BibleTime (sword) - Module request

Raphaël Pinson raphink at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 06:50:00 MST 2005

Knoppix has tried to move to the DVD approach already, with version 3.5.
Then it went back to the CD approach.

The DVD approach has a lot of positive points :
- it contains much more data (up to 4.3GB with a normal DVD)
- it is faster

But it has also many inconvenients that make it a not-so-good option yet :
- it is more expensive (although not much more)
- the time needed to download a DVD ISO is much longer than for a CD ISO.
Thus it both requires very fast connections to the internet on the user end,
and very high bandwidth servers on the developper side. Unless we use mostly
bittorrent or have a very large bandwidth, we can hardly distribute a DVD
ISO.
- the KNOPPIX compressed file has to be compiled from a 2GB source
directory. This process is long (it takes around 1 hour on my 2HGz comp with
512MB RAM and 1GB swap) and requires a lot of RAM. To compile a knoppix DVD,
you need at least 5GB RAM (physical + swap). I cannot imagine compiling a
knoppix DVD on my computer as it is. I would take me an entire day each time
I ever want to test it. This is why Knoppix DVD are sold as it is now, cause
people will ask for money for the time they spent compiling the DVD
(although I do not agree with paying for a knoppix DVD...)
- many people don't have a DVD burner and could not burn the ISO once they
have downloaded it. One option could then be to produce them ourselves and
ship them or distribute them. But again it requires much energy that we
could spend elsewhere for now.
- there are still computers without even a DVD player (esp. in churches,
schools, and other forms of communities). Although this is not expensive
hardware anymore, we cannot impose the aquisition of such hardware to our
users.

A Live DVD approach would be reallly good indeed, but it requires lots of
energy and proc time, and won't reach all the people we wish to reach. I
think we can think of such an approach only once the basis are set and
achieved, and we can spend our energy on other things than building the core
parts of the distro, and a simple Live CD.

Now about the mini Live CD Nigel proposes, there are also pros and cons.
Obviously this is much easier to achieve on the proc time point of view, and
energy too... The problem mostly will come from the fact that the sword
modules have a very bad compression rate. I couldn't put all of them on a
single 700MB LiveCD having removed almost all other apps (although I had
added many languages support). A mini-CD contains around 190 MB datas. Maybe
we could put an english-only system with a few bibles on this... Is it
really worth it?

There is one more approach, that mixes both : the mini-DVD approach.
Although mini-DVD are not easy to find in malls, they can be bought on the
internet. They have both the advantages of being small to carry like
mini-CDs, and more data than a normal CD does. There is still the DVD burner
and reader issue though, but the ISO is not as big as of a whole DVD...

Raphaël