[Ichthux-devel] Re: Ichthux as a CDD (Custom Debian Distribution)

Raphaël Pinson raphink at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 15:47:21 MST 2005

Hi,

I've read the documentation about CDDs, and while waiting for possible
opposition of any of you, here are the questions that come into my
mind, and that need to be thought about :

- Licence : it seems obvious to me that ichthux should be GPL, but
this has to be thought about and agreed upon.

- metapackages/other technology : the CDDs are mostly built using
metapackages so far. Ben pointed to me that there are other possible
technologies that can apply to building CDDs, and metapackages are
often considered fragile, because they are based only on dependencies.
This has to be thought about and discussed too.

- Thinking about the name, and considering the distro could be made a
CDD, and there could then be a live CD built on it, I was thinking
that Ichthux-Live could be chosen the live CD name. This seems not a
priority, but names are important imo so as to define properly a
project.

- mailing-list : crosswire has provided us a mailing-list already.
>From the Debian wiki page about CDDs, it seems it's very suitable that
every CDD has its dev mailing list on debian.org and a website on
www.debian.org . Furthermore, the ichthux project will have to be
presented and commented on the debian-devel mailing list. Would we
need to move the mailing list? Shall we stay on crosswire? Shall we
have duplicate website? A simple presentation on www.debian.org and a
full website on crosswire?

- We need to define exactly the goals for this project. I think we've
worked quite a bit on it already, but they need to be really clear, so
we can focus on them.

- We need to define the flavors and user roles wanted and/or needed by
the ichthux project. I was mainly thinking of the following : basic
user, bible student, church minister, church community. More can be
added.

Let us also keep praying for the success of this project, and divine
guidance in the choices we'll have to take.

God bless you all :)

Raphaël