[bt-devel] BtModuleTextModel improvements

Костя Маслюк kostyamaslyuk at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 15:29:48 EST 2022

Hi all. Just found of how Bible Time changed last years. Glad that there is
data model to represent sword modules now. And rely on Qt' internal html
rendering, without heavy web engine is also good to me.

Just would like to discuss if there are any plans to improve it so it may
replace similar model in BibleTime Mini frontend and improve it for Desktop
and Mobile. Looking forward to share as much code as possible and make
development effective.

1. I see that there are multiple roles to retrieve data for parallel texts.
I would guess that that was before TableView was implemented in Qt, if so
it may be possible to refactor BtModuleTextModel to render parallel texts
in columns cells? Or maybe there would be another way to standardize. For
example it would be done by separating model on base model with columns and
proxy model that map columns on user roles.

2. I also found that performance is not so good as i expected. I m not sure
why widow is blocked until text is completely rendered. I expected that
widow will be responsive while text is rendering, in qml drawing thread is
separated from worker thread as far as i know.

In Mini there is preview text rendered first when data role requested, that
is just a key name but it also schedule a full rendering in background
thread, then signal that cell data changed.

3. It also automatic scrolling minimum speed is too fast for me as i like
to set a minimum pace and meditate over the Word as it slowly scroll. But
Desktop frontend resolves different tasks, so it may be good for it.

Unfortunately it is almost end of holidays, and i sure i will have no spare
time(((, but it is better to make small steps rather than stand still.

Blessings.