[bt-devel] New BibleTime Frontend Proposal

Gary Holmlund gary.holmlund at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 20:01:22 MST 2013

I have been watching smart phones and tablets rise in sales as
desktop/laptop computers are not selling very well. I think it is time
to think about BibleTime for mobile computers.

Qt 5.1 will officially support Android and IOS, if your program is
written in Qt Quick/QML. Because QML is quite different from Qt widgets,
this requires a completely new frontend.

I am willing to put in the effort to make this happen for Android. I am
not asking for your help, unless you want to. :)    I would appreciate
guidance along the way.

To show you that I am serious, I have already created a prototype
running on linux using Qt 5.0.1. This prototype just has basic
bible/commentary windows, verse changing, module changing. The windows
can be arranged tabbed, horizontal, vertical, and auto-tiled. It has
many features and much usability yet to be worked on. Please look at
this screen capture:

http://sourcearchives.com/downloads/bibletime-mobile.webm

The prototype is on a local git branch and integrated with the BibleTime
cmake build using the BIBLETIME_FRONTEND mechanism already defined in
BTSourceFileList.txt. You can either build BibleTime or BibleTimeMobile.

What do you think?

Gary