[bt-devel] BibleTime Locked Module Issue

Gary Holmlund gary.holmlund at gmail.com
Sat May 12 11:04:17 MST 2012

I have been investigating issues in BibleTime related to locked modules.
I have found a repeatable case I have tried in 2.8, 2.9 and 2.10git on
linux. I can have a window open to the NET Bible (paid version, I have
the key installed) and am able to change Bible references, etc. but at
the same time the Bookshelf will show the module as being locked and
won't let me open another window. So it appears that the method of
determining locked status in the Bookshelf is not consistent with the
module actually  being unlocked.

The module is unlocked when we call setCipherKey in CSwordModuleInfo.
This is working fine.

The Bookshelf calls CSwordModuleInfo::unlockKeyIsValid() to determine if
the module is unlocked. In the repeatable problem case the
unlockKeyIsValid function calls getRawEntryBuf in sword and it returns
an empty string which indicates the module is locked. I have debugged
down into sword at this point, but because of the lack of comments in
sword code and the fact that involves calculating offsets into buffers
(no documentation on how this works), uncompress, etc. I have not been
able to figure out where the problem is.

I am getting a little frustrated and wondering if anyone has thoughts
about this.

Here is the repeatable case:

Open BibleTime
Open NET Bible (paid version with key)
Open ESV Bible in parallel in same window as NET Bible
Changing verse references works fine.
Bookshelf shows NET Bible unlocked
Close BibleTime
Open BibleTime
Session is restored showing NET and ESV in parallel
Changing verse references works fine.
Bookshelf shows NET Bible locked <--- error
Remove the ESV Bible that is in parallel
Bookshelf show NET Bible unlocked

I have not seen the problem without having a second Bible in parallel
with NET. I am not sure how to write a small example using only sword. I
was able to write a small example for a different sword issue recently.

Gary