[bt-devel] Developer wiki spam

Gary Holmlund gary.holmlund at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 17:00:26 MST 2011

On 3/11/2011 1:34 PM, Jaak Ristioja wrote:

> Hi!
>
> The developer wiki is being spammed almost daily now, probably by a
> single bot, which registers a random user account and creates a new page
> with some garbage and external links. Obviously current protection
> mechanisms don't work.
>
> This has to stop! I'm tired of removing the spam manually.
>
> This brings me to the following questions:
>    1) Who is responsible for administering the wiki setup and configuration?
>    2) How do we stop the spam?
>    3) Should we temporarily or permanently disable user account creation?
>
> God bless!
> Jaak
Jaak,

It looks like you, Martin, and Eeli are in the list of  "Administrator"
and "Bureaucrat" users. Others are not in these lists.

We should turn off the auto user account creation, but I don't see how
to do that. I am guessing the Administrators or Bureaucrats may have
extra links on some page that allows for this. There is a "Special
Pages" link on every page. Perhaps on the Special Pages there would be a
link that can do this.

Gary