[bt-devel] BibleTime 2.8 RC 1 released!

Jaak Ristioja Ristioja at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 12:06:56 MST 2010

Hi!

Sorry that I haven't been able to reply earlier. The BibleTime team is
few and busy lately. :S

On 30.10.2010 05:17, Ben Morgan wrote:
> Testing this on the Mac version. A few things I noted:
> Using back and forward on a bible window (I have two bibles in parallel
> in it) is sometimes much slower than typing in the reference (brings up
> spinning beach ball)

I was unable to reproduce this issue on my Linux PC laptop. You said it
only happens sometimes. Can you be more specific?

> Sometimes in tabbed layout mode right clicking on a tab has a restore
> option as well as close, which shouldn't be there.

I've also noticed that. Its a problem in the Qt toolkit. We can work
around this issue, but unfortunately I can't promise this to be fixed in
the 2.8 series, since it is really means a lot of work.

> When in tabbed mode, you can still bring up
> the below-the-verse-book-chapter-verse picker (those three down pointing
> triangle) for the inactive tabs (which may not be in a place you expect)

Again, I can't reproduce this on my Linux system. Can you give us a
screenshot of the issue?

> Printing appears to do nothing.

Probably a Qt-Mac issue. On Linux a print dialog is shown properly
(haven't tested whether it also prints something).

> Scrolling (esp. on long pages) can be really slow and laggy (I have
> inertial scrolling on)

I think this is a Qt (Webkit) problem we won't be able to fix ourselves.

> I'm looking at 2 Chronicles 29 in the ESV. Verse 1 has a footnote
> "Spelled Abi in 2 Kings 18:2". However, this doesn't ever display in the
> mag viewer. Depending on which xrefs you have hovered over before, you
> may get different things in the mag viewer. It looks like it is looking
> up the footnotes for the last verse rendered; if you want to look up
> footnotes for a given verse you need to render that verse again.

Being unfamiliar with the source code for that, I can't comment on this
issue, although I confirm that I'm able to reproduce this.

> When a module is downloaded (or if you stop it midway downloading) it
> leaves the Install/Update page disabled with most content missing.

I'm unable to reproduce this. Although I don't think something like that
is impossible. The code for those components needs to be rewritten.

> Just out of interest, what is the rationale behind the template names?
> Crazy is not what I would call crazy, Green seems absolutely free of
> green, and high contrast is almost the same as a couple of the other
> themes  (black text on white background) but with a blue background on
> the selected verse..

Don't know. Maybe the colors faded over time. :D

> Searching for * or () or ( or a number of other things gives message
>
> An internal error occurred while executing your search.
>

> Searching for (AND) crashes as does searching for a closing bracket ):

I can confirm that searching for the unhappy smiley "):" (without
quotes) crashes BibleTime due to a bug in the clucene library. Again,
maybe we could work around this issue (write our own syntax checker for
those queries), but it would take too much work. Anybody want to report
a bug to clucene?

Thank you for a lot of bug reports! We'll try to do our best to fix
them. Any further feedback is also welcome. Although we are very
short-staffed we will try to address these problems.

God bless!
Jaak