[bt-devel] take code from Qt?

Patrick Sebastian Zimmermann patrick at zakweb.de
Fri Nov 26 10:33:10 MST 2010

On Friday, November 26, 2010 12:51:53 am Jaak Ristioja wrote:
> On 26.11.2010 00:46, Patrick Sebastian Zimmermann wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> > I thought a bit about the multicolumn menus. The only way I see to implement this is creating a new class / modifying the existing QMenu.
> > Now a licensing question: Is it ok to take the code from Qt QMenu and adapt it to my needs? This will basically limit the license of the code
> > to lgpl since the copyright is with Nokia.
>
> Well I think you could instead:
> 1) Send patches upstream to Nokia
> 2) Write your own LGPL (probably GPL is good too) library based on Qt,
> so that GPL projects can use it.

I thought about 1) also and asked on the Qt mailing list. The answer was that it is highly improbable they will accept any upstream patches for
GUI stuff atm because they are concentrating on QML.
2) is the hard core alternative :-P. After seeing the QMenu implementation I'm quite overwhelmed what is required for a good menu. I am not
convinced that I can pull up a fully fledged QMenu clone from scratch and stay motivated throughout the entire process...

If ripping the Qt code and modifying it is not possible, I think I'll look into something else with a better benefit/effort coefficient. ;-)

Greetings,
Patrick