[bt-devel] parallel display of Bibles

Jaak Ristioja Ristioja at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 12:54:48 MST 2010

Hi!

Sorry for the late reply!

On 13.11.2010 16:10, Daniel Owens wrote:
> I have a feature request (I didn't see any feature requests in the bug
> tracker and wasn't sure where else to make this suggestion).

Our feature request tracker is located at:

> One of my favorite features of BibleTime (and there are several that for
> me make it rise above the rest) is the parallel display of Bible texts.
> I have been doing a lot of work in the Psalms lately using the OSMHB
> from the experimental repository and the ESV, which correspond roughly
> to the Leningrad and KJV versifications.
>
> One idea I mentioned on sword-devel is the idea of having the option of
> synchronizing separate windows of Bible texts much like commentaries
> synchronize with Bible texts.
>
> I can see two significant advantages to this. First, I would think (and
> I could be very wrong about this) this would make it possible for all
> the verses of a given chapter in each text to display at once (see below
> for a case of how this works now). Second it would allow each version to
> preserve paragraph and poetic breaks.

That's a good idea we're already aware of. We still need a lot of
refactoring work for the code before this can be implemented in a sane
manner.

> I realize this is a feature request, and I can't contribute code :(. But
> as someone who uses BibleTime regularly for academic research, I have
> run into challenges as a user in regard to versification, particularly
> the dropping of verses at the end of a chapter. Even if the verses are
> offset by one or two verses, that is something I can deal with, but when
> verses are dropped it's a challenge.
>
> If you want to see this in action, place the ESV in parallel to the
> OSMHB or the WLC in the Leningrad versification (I think in the
> experimental repo) at Psalm 5. With the ESV as the first text (from the
> left), verse 13 of Psalm 5 is dropped from the OSMHB. If the OSMHB is
> the first text, then the first verse of Psalm 6 in the ESV appears next
> to verse 13 of Ps 5 in the OSMHB. I don't think this is a bug in
> BibleTime but in the sword engine, but I thought I would mention it.

This might as well be a BibleTime bug, so I wouldn't rule that out yet.

Unfortunately we're currently almost out of manpower. At the moment,
BibleTime development is rather stalled, only a few short bursts of
small commits are coming in every now-and-then. I guess BibleTime needs
some prayer.

God bless
Jaak

PS: It's very encouraging to hear of academic BibleTime users. :)