[bt-devel] Reviewing the Release Cycle

Raoul Snyman raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
Thu May 20 13:25:55 MST 2010

Hi guys,

With the recent release of BibleTime 2.7, and looking at how short the
changelog is, I felt that we should review the length of the release cycle.

I know that the reason it was shortened to 6 weeks was so that we would get
new versions going out regularly, and without months and months of inaction,
but I think that 6 weeks is too short a time to actually get a lot of work
done.

When there is a new release with a significant version number (like 2.7), I
would expect some fairly major new features, but recently we've mostly been
bug fixing, which should be relegated to a bugfix release number (like 2.6.1),
since it doesn't have any significant new functionality in it.

Certainly from my perspective, and I know from some other folks' perspectives
as well (Jaak, for instance), I don't have a lot of time on my hands, and
while I'd like to contribute to BT, the 6 week cycle means I don't get enough
of a chance to do anything. I sadly haven't even been able to attend the last
two *-a-thons.

I propose we lengthen the cycle to 3 months, and implement bugfix releases.
This way our release cycles are long enough to include new features, and we
can still fix up some bugs and release bugfixes.

Quite honestly, I think that going up 4 releases in a standard Ubuntu release
cycle is a little ridiculous. It's almost like we're pushing up our version
number just to look like a really mature project.

I'd really like to get stuck into the UI and try to make things better in
terms of usability and "pretty", but the current release cycle doesn't work
for me :-(

--
Raoul Snyman, B.Tech IT (Software Engineering)
Saturn Laboratories
e: raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
w: www.saturnlaboratories.co.za
b: blog.saturnlaboratories.co.za