[bt-devel] working with Git / SVN

Olaf Radicke briefkasten at olaf-radicke.de
Fri Jul 23 13:45:45 MST 2010

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 10:35:21PM +0300, Jaak Ristioja wrote:
> On 23.07.2010 20:11, Olaf Radicke wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm not a very experienced git user, but I think 'rebase' will be
> >> better.
> >>
> >> http://gitorious.org/bibletime/svn-trunk is just a mirror of the real
> >> SVN repository and
> >> it is updated using git-svn. Therefore we can't merge any of your
> >> changes to the real SVN
> >> repository like one would do with git.
> >
> > If you pull from my git-repos in to
> > http://gitorious.org/bibletime/svn-trunk and then commit from
> > gitorious.org to sf.net i think, it's better i pull.
> >
> > olaf <-- pull -- gitorious.org <-- 'svn rebase' -- sf.net
> > olaf -- pull --> gitorious.org -- 'svn dcommit' --> sf.net
> > olaf <-- pull -- gitorious.org <-- 'svn rebase' -- sf.net
> >
> > If i commit directly to sf.net, then it's better i make 'rebase'.
> >
> > olaf <-- rebase -- gitorious.org <-- 'svn rebase' -- sf.net
> > olaf -- 'svn dcommit' --> sf.net
> > olaf <-- rebase -- gitorious.org <-- 'svn rebase' -- sf.net
> >
> > In first way, you have the conflicts. In second way - i have the
> > conflicts...
>
> Well the whole point of the BibleTime svn-trunk repository at gitorious is to mirror the
> SVN trunk, therefore I won't pull into svn-trunk from anywhere else.
>
> So it must to be the second way. From time-to-time you can ask us to review the code you
> have developed. If we decide that its something worth to merging into trunk, we'll finally
> give you SVN commit access.
>
> If, during your development, you have patches for other parts of BibleTime, please send
> these to us. We will review them, commit them to SVN, and give you the credit. This helps
> us to start trusting you and eventually accept you to our team, and give you SVN access.

I see you concern, but mixing is a foul way.

o = Olaf
bs = Bibletime-SF.net
bg = Bibletime-gitorious

   patch-in-
            \
bs-bs---bs--bs--bs----->
  \bg---bg--------bg---->
      |             \
      \o---o--------krash!--o-->
            \
             -patch-out

If i send you a patch and you commit this in sf.net, the  history is lost for git.
If the code come back to me, over git-mirror, i become a conflict. Easier to handle
is, when i pull and you pull with '--no-commit'. So you have a checkup befor commit.
And the history is not lost.

> To tell you the truth, I'm a bit skeptical about your new GUI project right now.

I see.

> I think
> its risky because the code quality of the backend still needs a lot of refactoring and
> some architectural changes.

We can us proxy-classes for stabile interfaces. It's standard-tool of refactoring - i think.

Regards

Olaf