[bt-devel] alternative GUI

Olaf Radicke briefkasten at olaf-radicke.de
Thu Jul 22 08:11:54 MST 2010

Hi Jaak, and all!

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 10:43:04PM +0300, Jaak Ristioja wrote:

> Hi Olaf!
>
> On 21.07.2010 20:57, Olaf Radicke wrote:
> > Pleas, lat me try develop a alternative GUI. The alternative GUI have oven
> > namespace and don't touch the other code. The user have a choice. Only if
> > start the programme with "--alter-gui" he behold the alternative GUI.
>
> I reviewed your patch. Please understand that since your patch is in very early
> development, we can't accept it in SVN.

Aye, clearly.

> Personally I suggest, that you might want to clone
> the git mirror of the SVN trunk from
>
>   http://gitorious.org/bibletime
>
> for your current development. That mirror is automatically updated every 20 minutes from
> the sourceforge SVN repository.

Can't login gitorious. No  error messages. No idea why. I hosting my clone
of my owen server:

http://www.fkbk.de/git/

> I have the following remarks about the patch you sent us:
>
> 1) Conditional compilation. I think the alternative GUI should only be compiled if
> explicitly enabled by specifying some arguments for the "cmake" command, e.g. "-D
> BT_ALTERGUI".

The new GUI have only a part of BibleTime features, so sometime the user need
switch to old GUI.

> 2) Source code formatting issues:
>
>   * Use m_ prefixes for class fields, so that we can use "m_fieldName"
>     instead of "this->fieldName".

That is a point, which I do not understand! If i use 'this->' it is a
little longer, but the compiler is warning, if i err.

void for_exsample_checkClassCount()
{
    int my_count = 10;

    // error! meaning is
    // if(my_count > m_count)

    if(my_count > my_count)
    {
        m_doSomething();
    }
}

void for_exsample_checkClassCount()
{
    int my_count = 10;
    // compiler
    if(this->my_count > my_count)
    {
        m_doSomething();
    }
}

>   * "// Intentionally empty" might be better a better comment than
>     "// pass". Personally, I prefer just to inline such methods, and
>     just type "{}" in the header files.

Good idea.

>   * connect(m_backButton, SIGNAL(clicked()),
>             this,         SLOT(doNothing())); // Good use of space

Okay.

>   * Use spaces instead of tabs, because tab size may vary for different
>     tools/IDE's etc.

Okay.

>   * No newline at the end of C++ source files might result in a warning
>     for some compilers.

Okay.

>   * No extra whitespace in source files after code on each line, empty
>     lines have no whitespace. Extra whitespace confuses diff and other
>     tools.

Okay.

>   * Please don't start identifiers with underscore, e.g. "_ix". Use
>     more understandable camelCase names like "tabIndex". Types start
>     with capital letter MyClass, identifiers have lowercase first letter.

I us underscore for local vars. This reminds me. But i desist.

>   * Small spelling mistake: "menu", not "menue".

bad luck. I'm Dyslexia.

>   * Don't indent classes/structs inside namespaces, only inside other
>     classes, so we have more space to fit the code into the recommended
>     80 character columns.

I do not understand that. an example Please!

> 3) Use QCoreApplication::arguments().contains("--alter-gui") instead.

 Principle okay. But it is workt before 'BibleTimeApp app(argc, argv);'?

> 4) Use qDebug() << "and friends instead of iostream";

Okay.

> 5) Use <QList> instead of <list>

Okay.

> 6) Source code file names are in lowercase.

Bot it's ease to read. For example:

http://bibletime.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/bibletime/trunk/bibletime/cmake/

> 7) Only English in source code.

Okay. Try hard...