[bt-devel] Doxygen

Joachim Ansorg nospam+bt-devel at joachim-ansorg.de
Wed Jul 21 11:34:50 MST 2010

Hi Olaf,
I can only speak for myself as I'm not actively participating in the
development.

You complain about many things in the source code. If you present an
alternative, better approach I'm sure that there will be a good discussion
with great results.

> which I am see is, the GUI have much complex code, but it is not
> effective. I am cannot see where the many features is.
>
> german: Ich sehe mir den Code der GUI an, und ich denke, für die paar
> Funktionen die BibleTime bietet, ist das wirklich beachtlich fiel Code
> und unglaublich komplex. Ich meine, wenn ich hier eine Textverarbeitung
> wie OpenOffice hätte - Okay. Aber was macht denn BibleTime großartiges?
> Es holt Text aus einer Datenbank und stellt es dar.

"What does BibleTime do? It just retrieves text from a database and displays
it."

Well, good point :) What does the Linux kernel do except of booting a PC? ;)
Dig a bit deeper and you'll see that there are many small details which have
been implemented (dynamic bookshelf, bookmarks, search, reading, annotations,
parallel module views, module options, etc.)

BibleTime started with Qt 1.x and KDE 1.0, many things changed in the
libraries. It might be possible to remove some code but I doubt that it is
much.

> > Fourth, start small. Rewriting all things at once or looking at
> > everything at the same time usually ends in chaos and frustration.
>
> At present, the GUI-Code is definitely chaos and frustration. I mean,
> it's not to be salvageable. I do not have yet intensively seen the
> backend. when the backend have clean interfaces, it's easy, change the
> GUI or write a second alternative GUI.

I doubt that.

You can easily proove your point by implementing an alternative GUI with the
same features, half the lines of code and twice as good documented and
structured. You'll see that this is going to be a lot of work.

Have a look at any software which evolved over the years, all tend to become
unorganized if there are not actively cleaned-up (which is a lot of work).
If you want a nice library and /  or nice GUI code take JSword / BibleDesktop
(both are Java). These are exceptionally well written, as far as I remember.
I looked at it one or two years ago, though.

> http://sourcearchives.com/doxygen/bibletime/dd/d4e/cplainwritedisplay_8cpp-
>source.html
>
> 00042 void CPlainWriteDisplay::setText( const QString& newText ) {
> 00043     //make sure the text has been converted to show \n instead of
> 00045 //  text.replace("\n<br /><!-- BT newline -->\n", "\n");
> 00046     text.replace("<br />", "\n"); //inserted by BT or the Qt textedit
> widget 00047
> 00048     QTextEdit::setText(text);
> 00049 }
>
> I do not understand why here is call a static function of QTextEdit.
> german: Mir ist schleierhaft, was der Code-Schnipsel hier tu. Welchen
> sinn könnte es machen den Slot der Klasse QTextEdit als static-Methode
> auf zu rufen? Ich dachte, man bräuchte eine Instanz der Klasse.

Well, this is C++ .
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/357307/calling-parent-function-from-derived-child

Regards,
<>< Re: deemed