[bt-devel] refactoring

Gary Holmlund gary.holmlund at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 17:45:51 MST 2010

On 07/15/2010 12:15 PM, Jaak Ristioja wrote:

>> Thus which can we do? Which always we touch in the code, brings high risk for
>> stability. Thus i suggest, beginning with a alternative and autonomous GUI.
>> User can switch the GUI with a flag by starting programm. that is a compromise
>> between stability and progressed.
>>
> This is definitely something to consider. However, I fear that we also need to rebuild
> great parts of the backend. To make matters worse, the SWORD library is also very obscure
> to use.

I don't believe that two GUI versions would be a good way to go. It would
substantially increase the complexity for the duration of both existing.
Both would
have to be maintained, and as GUI features were added they would have to
be added
in both places. I think that it would be a tendency to work on one GUI
and the other
would be broken without easily realizing it.
>> by the way, we can completely again consider those GUI. I does not like
>> multiple document interface (MDI), as example. MDI needs much place, without
>> more functions than flying windows.
>>
> I think we must keep MDI.
>

>> I think QSplitter is a better way.
>>
> We might also implement QSplitter based GUI, but current MDI options also must stay, I
> think. Otherwise we might lose a lot of users.

I agree with Jaak. The MDI windows is a feature that many of our users like
and it needs to stay. I think it is possible to consider a splitter
window manager
in addition to MDI.

>> another point is the "bookshelfmanager". It's always visible and needs much
>> place too. But how often one it uses? Better it is a dialogue. besides the
>> function is redundant(doubles) in the MDI-Windows (now).
>>
> I think a better option is a "bookshelf manager" which is only visible when the user opens
> it. It is still visible in the main window, but it might overlap the MDI area. I think
> Microsoft Visual Studio has something like that. The user can optionally make that widget
> "always visible". I think Qt can't do this with dock widgets yet, but we could make our
> own widgets for this.

By dragging the titlebar of the bookshelf and moving it over the MDI
windows,
it becomes a floating window on top of the MDI windows. If we added a
toolbar
icon to toggle the visibility you would have what is being described.

Another possibility is to do much like KDevelop does. They have vertical
tabs on
the left of the main windows. It you click on the tab, the associated
docking
window appears. Another click and it disappears.

Gary Holmlund