[bt-devel] retranslateUi

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Wed Jan 27 04:57:04 MST 2010

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010, Jaak Ristioja wrote:
> In multilingual environments one might want to change the translation on-the-fly, e.g. if
> there are people speaking different languages using BibleTime. Changing environment
> variables is not likely a skill of the average computer user.

Of course we can have a GUI for changing the language, but it's
different question whether it needs to change it on-the-fly or after
restarting. The latter doesn't need retranslateUi method and is
therefore easier to implement, touching only the corresponding
configuration GUI code and adding one or two lines in the app init
phase.

Does "one might want to change" mean that we know some people really
want to do it, or just that we feel it's a possible scenario? A
possibility isn't enough to warrant a change in every class.

> Personally I've seen quite a
> lot of applications that can change the language on-the-fly, e.g. FileZilla or
> FreeCommander on Windows are the first to come to mind.

OK, but are the users happy because they can do it on-the-fly instead of
restarting the app? Still I'm not convinced. I would be quite happy if I
could change the language and then restart the app. Even that would be
luxury compared with most applications. "Quite a lot" is subjective - I
don't remember any app having the possibility to change the UI language
from the GUI, let alone on-the-fly. Is it more than 5% or more than
50%? If more than 50%, it would be quite compelling to implement the
feature just for the sake of being feature complete.

>However, heres an extreme example of the theoretical opposite which we might likely
> reach in the future, on how this might be a problem: imagine a method initializing ten
> widgets in the following manner:
>
>    m_widget = new QSomeWidget(tr("Hello world!"), this);
>    m_widget->setSomeAttribute(someValue, someOtherValue);
>    m_widget->setWhatsThis(tr("Hello whatsthis readers!"));

OK, that's a valid point. Please, all, comment on this. Does the
retranslateUi in every class make the code easier to read and write?

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland