[bt-devel] Feature-a-thon - Tabs Within Windows

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Wed Jan 13 14:35:23 MST 2010

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010, Kim Blewett wrote:
> I don't see much of an advantage to having tabs within windows... seems
> like it uses up valuable screen space for those who don't have large
> monitors.

I also think that optimizing for small displays is important and "one
window in one tab" would be good for that. However, it's not a reason to
abandon large displays or those people who have other kinds of use
cases. In another post I answered the question about those possible use
cases.

I want to emphasize that we must not make any default user interface
which is difficult to use or confusing. But if we come to a conclusion
that some feature is useful and good for some users, we can add it as an
"invisible" feature even if it's a bit complex. Like the Session feature
now: I have never used it and it doesn't bother me because it's behind a
menu, out of my way.  Moving and hiding the Bookshelf or Mag windows are
"invisible" features - some users may not know about them at all, but
they may be useful for some.

We have to find a window system which is easy and good for all by
default but may have "invisible" flexible features for power users.

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland