[bt-devel] Launchpad for translations

Thomas Abthorpe thomas at goodking.ca
Tue Jan 12 06:47:57 MST 2010

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 02:39:58 +0200 (EET)
Eeli Kaikkonen <eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi> wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Jan 2010, Daniel Holmlund wrote:
>
> > I've done some translation from English into French on Launchpad and I
> > think that has a pretty good interface for translation.
>
> On the other hand it has some drawbacks.
>
> 1) I don't know if it supports translation comments, and if ts->po->ts
> conversion supports that.

The translation comments sadly are lost in the translation.

> 2) There's a problem with licence. What's our current translation
> licence, if we have one at all? Launchpad recommends BSD for new
> translations, otherwise the transapplication translations don't work (as
> far as I understand).

I am not objectionable to the BSD license for obvious reasons :)

BT is distributed under GPLv2, and by extension, so is our documentation. The
Launchpad licensing FAQ states that new projects are to use BSD, but imported
projects may use their license of origin, so long as it is clearly labelled
as such.

> 3) It doesn't support contexts (i.e. classes) which are shown in Qt
> Linguist. Or does it? It's more difficult to translate if you can't see
> that some strings belong to the same UI element.

This I do not know.

> However, anyone can of course still use the Linguist. We just have to
> give clear documentation telling how both work and what are the good and
> bad sides.

Our translations extend beyond just ts files for Linguist, the Handbook and
HowTo are in po format.

Like Daniel said in his email, those less technically inclined may benefit
greatly from the Launchpad UI.

>   Yours,
> 	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland
> 	e-mail: eekaikko at mailx.studentx.oulux.fix (with no x)