[bt-devel] Feature-a-thon

'Kang Sun' k486 at digizip.com
Tue Jan 5 12:23:01 MST 2010

Dear all,
Are we going to meet to discuss the future roadmap?  I agree with Thomas
that we need to discuss the future direction for BT.

Just a couple of things that have been on my mind for a while:
- verse ranges (and highlighting verse ranges)
- better footnote handling and noninline footnotes/crossrefs
- vertical centering of the current selection.
- redo search query and displaying.
- improved export options and export formatting.
- (strictly nonvisible feature) make clear distinction of ownership of
  free-store/factory-made objects.  Or handle all of the objects with
  referenced-counted smart-pointers.

That last point has been a pain in the you know what for a while.  Just
trying to add a destructor for some classes (to fix memory leaks) is
really hard because some other object has retained a reference.  I know
that sword does this a lot (return a pointer to something deep within
itself and make no assumptions about ownership).  Instead of keeping a
local copy of the references, it would be much safer to requery the
object (just an inline call) each time it is needed.

Is anyone against using mumble and google wave for the meeting?