[bt-devel] bzr merging (was MDI Style ToolBars)

Raoul Snyman raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
Tue Feb 23 01:14:22 MST 2010

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 09:52:39 +0200 (EET), Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:
> About bzr merging: I think it's better to merge from trunk to your devel
> branch every now and then, not only once at the end of the development
> of a branch. Also, If you don't merge from trunk before publishing your
> branch and there are potential conflicts between your branch and trunk,
> every one who pulls from your branch must merge with trunk and resolve
> the conflicts (if they want to keep up with both trunk and your branch,
> that is). It may be even impossible if the developers doesn't know why
> you have changed something and why someone else has changed something in
> the same place - resolving conflicts requires knowledge. Therefore it's
> much better if the one developer who knows about the changes merges and
> resolves. In this specific case it doesn't matter much because there are
> no conflicts, I think.

Agreed. It's easy to resolve conflicts with your own code than when code
gets merged into trunk (possibly by someone else). Rather merge trunk to
your local branch before doing a merge to trunk, so that you can clean up
all the conflicts before they hit trunk.

--
Raoul Snyman, B.Tech IT (Software Engineering)
Saturn Laboratories
e: raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
w: http://www.saturnlaboratories.co.za/
b: http://blog.saturnlaboratories.co.za/