[bt-devel] Sword include path

Gregory Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 11:42:21 MST 2010

This is a sword issue. In the majority of our cases it will work (it
worked great in most Linux systems and in Mac too). The issue comes
with Windows. Basically it goes like follows:

In Linux, the paths /usr/local/include and /usr/local/include/sword
are both usually included during a manual install. /usr/local/include/
sword was needed because sword refers to it's own headers with no
prefix (as they are all in sword-1.6.1/include for example). Our own
code at the time was a mixture of with and without the sword/ in the C+
+ files.

When I first started building on Windows, there is no concept of
universal install locations like /usr/local/include, so all the files
were kept in sword-<version>/include where there is no sword/
directory. Thus I presented the issue to the rest of the mailing list
and we agreed to standardize on no sword/ to keep easier compatibility
with Windows and the defauls SWORD behavior and to keep our own usage
consistent.

While there are conceptual reasons to want sword/ at the beginning and
also technical ones as well, there are also good reasons to want to
keep the current behavior. If this is going to change, you'd have to
alter almost every file in BibleTime, SWORD, all the bindings and
possibly also Xiphos and other projects as well.

--Greg