[bt-devel] About Drupal translations

Raoul Snyman raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
Thu Feb 18 09:53:36 MST 2010

On Thursday 18 February 2010 17:59:10 Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:
> Can the translation system be configured to behave any differently? It's
> quite rough now, allowing only replacing existing text. I mean, you get
> the original translation (or the English text) of the whole page. Then
> you have to guess what the original English is if it's translated
> already. There's no way to edit the original English page and mark it as
> updated, is there? At least you can't mark a small section as updated.
> In the old po-based system roughly each paragraph is a translatable
> unit. It allows updating one passage at a time. In the new system it's
> impossible to know which word or passage in the original has been
> changed. For example, if a link is updated to point to a new location,
> it may be impossible to notice it, and the translations will stay
> outdated.

Drupal has a revisions system, and a workflow system. Now, I'm more familiar
with Drupal 5's i18n system, but I'm sure that the Drupal 6 system mostly
works the same way.

This way, you can look at the difference between two revisions, and see what
the change is, and you can see what pages need to be translated via the
workflow system.

Additionally, using the workflow actions system you could probably get the
system to e-mail all the translators whenever a page is translated. I'd have
to set all of this up, but it's an option that's out there...

--
Raoul Snyman, B.Tech IT (Software Engineering)
Saturn Laboratories
e: raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
w: www.saturnlaboratories.co.za
b: blog.saturnlaboratories.co.za