[bt-devel] Serious Bug

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Thu Feb 11 05:32:52 MST 2010

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010, Jaak Ristioja wrote:

> On 11.02.2010 06:18, Gary Holmlund wrote:
> > The ESV Bible does not have cross reference verses in it and the KJV
> > does not properly show Strongs references in the MAG window. I have
> > observed this on ubuntu 9.10 and Windows XP. I did some binary searching
> > building various revisions and it looks like SVN2182 introduced the
> > problem. I am not very familiar with the code in this revision. Can
> > someone else look into this issue?
>
> First of all could you please be more specific what the problem is?
>
> SVN2182 is "CSwordBackend: Removed some unused methods and useless fields." by myself. As
> far as I know, the commit should have no side effects other than boosting performance a
> tiny bit.

Apparently you were wrong. I think the problem is that the backend
inherits the SWORD class and implements some methods which are already
implemented by the mother class. You didn't find the methods being used
because you didn't look into the SWORD code, but the engine calls the
methods and now uses the default implementations instead of ours.

This is a good warning and reminder: Premature optimization is the root
of all evil.

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland