[bt-devel] SVN is dead, long live Git

Martin Gruner mg.pub at gmx.net
Sun Aug 22 23:38:03 MST 2010

Hi Jaak,

Am 23.08.10 08:18, schrieb Jaak Ristioja:
> On 22.08.2010 17:00, Martin Gruner wrote:
> > the ChangeLog tells about 3 new features:
> > * Save the "grouping" setting of the Bookshelf
> > * Enhanced module indexing dialog
> > * Improved MacOS support
>
> I'd say the first and last ones are bugfixes.
I can't follow you here?
> And they're all minor
> changes anyway. The enhanced module indexing dialog commit also came
> together with a bugfix for a crash.
You may consider them minor changes, but that doesn't touch on my
arguments concerning the release policy.

> > And under the hood we had large changes by the refactorings. All of
> > these need testing, which is one reason for "release early, release
> > often". Backporting will create additional work and might introduce new
> > bugs.
>
> git cherry-pick ?
Yes. You need to determine which cherries to pick, leaving others out,
which may cause problems.

> >> big notice about prior versions which might in
> >> some cases delete users' home directories.
> > This will probably not be needed, because no version of BibleTime had
> > such a bug. It was caused by wrong usage of the code in Olaf's fork
> only.
>
> Are you sure? Afaik this is not specific to Olaf's fork.
IIRC this was caused by using the util::filesystem::directory functions
before properly initializing it, wasn't it?

Regards, mg