[bt-devel] SVN is dead, long live Git

Martin Gruner mg.pub at gmx.net
Sun Aug 22 07:00:57 MST 2010

Hi Jaak,

the ChangeLog tells about 3 new features:
* Save the "grouping" setting of the Bookshelf
* Enhanced module indexing dialog
* Improved MacOS support

And under the hood we had large changes by the refactorings. All of
these need testing, which is one reason for "release early, release
often". Backporting will create additional work and might introduce new
bugs. The release cycle is time-based, not feature based (ok, if there
is not a single new feature, then the release might be dropped), so that
does not really count as an argument. In general this is known as "agile
developmen", where you have a fixed cycle ("iteration") and decide each
time how many features you can realize. I don't want to change this
general approach for BibleTime. We can talk about the iteration length,
however.

My proposal would be: start feature and string freeze with a 2.8.beta1
soon (1-2 weeks latest). Then enter a regular release cycle of 3 months
between the releases again. This would give us about 4 releases per
year, which is not much, but ok. With 2.8, I'd like to release another
MacOS version (still labelled as beta) for testing (I think this is also
a significant new "feature").

> big notice about prior versions which might in
> some cases delete users' home directories.
This will probably not be needed, because no version of BibleTime had
such a bug. It was caused by wrong usage of the code in Olaf's fork only.

Opinions please?

Regards, mg