[bt-devel] Suggestion: New Workflow

Raoul Snyman raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
Thu Aug 19 08:18:05 MST 2010

Hi folks,

Now that we're using a DVCS, perhaps we can implement a slightly different
workflow to what we're used with Subversion.

Gitorious has the ability to propose (or request, in Gitorious terms) merges.
I think this provides us with the perfect opportunity to have a little bit of
peer review in our development process.

I'd like to suggest we use a workflow similar to the process my OpenLP project
uses. Each developer has a clone of the main repository, and then develops in
their own branches. Once they're happy with their changes, and have tested
them, they push their branch up to Gitorious and request a merge to master.
Then one or two "core" developers can review the merge, and can allow the
merge to continue.

On the pro side, we'll have code that is cleaner, higher quality, and has less
bugs. On the con side, the commit to master process will be a little longer,
and will require at least 1 "core" developer to approve the merge. I believe
that the pros outweigh the cons in this process.

I'm not sure how Gitorious works, but on Launchpad, I can set up multiple
teams for the project. With OpenLP, we have a "core" team which is allowed to
commit to trunk (or master), and a "developers" team which is not allowed to
commit to trunk. All developers are part of the "developers" team, and thus
can follow various aspects of the project, while the "core" team maintains the
master code base. It might be an idea to set up something like this on
Gitorious if possible.

Thoughts?

--
Raoul Snyman, B.Tech IT (Software Engineering)
Saturn Laboratories
e: raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
w: www.saturnlaboratories.co.za
b: blog.saturnlaboratories.co.za