[bt-devel] BibleTime 2.72 - Crash Issue

Gary Holmlund gary.holmlund at gmail.com
Sun Aug 15 21:51:52 MST 2010

On 08/11/2010 06:02 PM, jwesleycooper at cox.net wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm currently using BibleTime 2.72 (sword lib v.1.6.1) on my i586 installation of OpenSuSE 11.3; but it keeps crashing every time I try to refresh the CrossWire Bible Society installation listings, which are now blank, using the bookshelf manager.  Why on Earth is this happening, and how can I fix it?
>
> Please let me know what must be done, or what additional info you might need, right away!
>
> ~John Wesley Cooper

I installed openSUSE 11.3 to investigate this. I installed libsword
1.6.1 and bibletime 2.7.2 from the openSUSE build system. I reproduced
the problem as described above.

$ bibletime
UTF8Transliterator: ICU: no resource index to load
UTF8Transliterator: ICU: status U_MISSING_RESOURCE_ERROR
UTF8Transliterator: ICU: no resource index to load
UTF8Transliterator: ICU: status U_MISSING_RESOURCE_ERROR
UTF8Transliterator: ICU: no resource index to load
UTF8Transliterator: ICU: status U_MISSING_RESOURCE_ERROR
Segmentation fault

I also compiled BibleTime 2.72 and BibleTime git HEAD and both crashed
the same way.

I compiled libsword from svn and bibletime from git HEAD and all works
fine. No crash.

I notice that when building libsword, ICU was not used, but in the
errors above it was built with the openSUSE build system version. I did
not think we needed ICU, but I am not sure. I don't know if it is
related to the crash.

Any other thoughts?

Gary Holmlund