[bt-devel] proof of concept is ready now

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 12:46:20 MST 2010

I just gave the alter-gui a brief look.  A few things to note:

1) After selecting a passage I'd rather be taken right to the text.
Perhaps a dialog, or auto-switching tabs back to the Bible after
selection.
2) I'd like the passage tree to remember what parts I have open, if it
can.  It didn't seem to do that after I switched back to the Text tab.
2.5) I think the tree selector you have is a bit clumsy, but passage
selectors are notoriously difficult to design well.
3) If I select a module (e.g. KJV) and open a passage (Genesis 1) and
read the text, then choose a different module (GodsWord), the display
doesn't update to include the new text.
4) I don't think complete excluding other text types is a good goal.
Bibles are a good stepping stone, but I don't think you should exclude
other types from your plans.

I think you're on a good start for a Qt-based mobile interface.  I
would still stick with the workflow of BibleTime for the desktop.  The
free arranging child windows and UI appeals to me more than a
tab-based interface for keyboard & mouse interface.  But you're on a
good start for mobile, I think!

OTHER DEVELOPERS:
To git users - you can follow olaf's work very easily in your current
repository.  Do the following:

git remote add olaf http://www.fkbk.de/git/bibletime_bare/
git remote update

Now you can see his branch in "git branch -a".  You can run a diff
against it with "git diff master remotes/olaf/master" or substitute in
whatever else you want.  You can branch his work, etc, just like you
would work with any other remote branch, tracking it or forking it,
etc.

--Greg