[bt-devel] git help

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 07:30:16 MST 2010

Olaf,

Here is the big difference between the basic gitorious mirror and
mine.  For the gitorious mirror, after a fresh clone I have:

$ git branch
* master
$ git branch -r
  origin/HEAD -> origin/master
  origin/master
$ git tag

With my process, what you pull after cloning my repository is:
$ git branch
* trunk
$ git branch -r
  origin/2.5-dev
  origin/HEAD -> origin/trunk
  origin/bugfix-2-0
  origin/bugfix-2-1
  origin/bugfix-2-2
  origin/bugfix-2-3
  origin/bugfix-2-4
  origin/bugfix-2-5
  origin/bugfix-2-6
  origin/bugfix-2-7
  origin/trunk
$ git tag
rel-1-7
rel-1-7-alpha1
rel-1-7-alpha3
rel-1-7-alpha4
rel-1-7-beta1
rel-1-7-beta2
rel-1-7-rc1
rel-2-0
rel-2-0-1
rel-2-0-alpha1
rel-2-0-alpha2
rel-2-0-alpha3
rel-2-0-beta1
rel-2-0-beta2
rel-2-0-beta3
rel-2-0-rc1
rel-2-1
rel-2-1-beta1
rel-2-1-rc1
rel-2-2
rel-2-2-beta1
rel-2-2-rc1
rel-2-3
rel-2-3-1
rel-2-3-2
rel-2-3-3
rel-2-3-beta1
rel-2-3-rc1
rel-2-4
rel-2-4-beta1
rel-2-4-rc1
rel-2-5
rel-2-5-beta1
rel-2-5-rc1
rel-2-6
rel-2-6-beta1
rel-2-6-beta2
rel-2-6-rc1
rel-2-6-rc2
rel-2-7
rel-2-7-1
rel-2-7-2
rel-2-7-beta1
rel-2-7-rc1

As you can see, pulling the clone and then pushing to a repository
with the method I elaborated will give us all of our branches and tags
that we currently have in SVN, preserved for our use in git.  The only
real difference is, since I made these conversions and pushed it to my
own repository, all the tags have my information like so:
$ git show rel-1-7
tag rel-1-7
Tagger: Greg Hellings <greg.hellings at gmail.com>