[bt-devel] Announcing the Open Scriptures Morphological Hebrew Bible module

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Mon Apr 12 01:07:25 MST 2010

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010, Daniel Owens wrote:
> It would be great to see the corresponding verses match up correctly in
> a parallel view and verses that don't fit with the KJV not lopped off,
> as in some cases currently (for example, MT Ps 3:9 is lopped off in
> BibleDesktop and in BibleTime when in parallel with the ESV).

There's no easy solution to this problem. Showing all available books in
all modules could be possible, but there still would be errors as far as
I can see. For example, what happens if the verse numbers are different,
or in other words, if the contents of a pointed verse doesn't match
between the modules? 1:1 may be 1:2 in another module. Also, the book
names of the OT historical books don't match between the Hebrew and
Greek canon even though there is same content (I don't remember the
details by heart).

The greatest problem is that the SWORD engine doesn't support mapping
ATM, i.e. you can't give a reference to the engine and let it convert it
to another versification. In my opinion it should be the basic
functionality, so that the user could give XYZ 1:1 (KJV) to the
application and it shows the corresponding verse in the current module
(e.g. XYZ 1:2), not XYZ 1:1 in the current module.

The user should also be able to select the default versification used in
the application. That would be very polite towards Eastern Orthodox,
Hebrew readers etc. who don't use the RSV/KJV versification natively.
The engine should do the mapping and give automatically the right
content.

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland