[bt-devel] The unicode path issue in SWORD/Windows

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 06:43:47 MST 2009

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 8:29 AM, Eeli Kaikkonen
<eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi> wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Oct 2009, Martin Gruner wrote:
>
>> Eeli,
>>
>> please try to get the relevant patch into Sword 1.6.1, if they are not
>> already. 1.6.1 should be released fairly soon!
>>
>> mg
>
> I don't have any patch and I don't know much about the issue. That's why
> I'm asking here, hoping that someone could push it forward.

Last I heard, this was not fixed.  It has to do with the C runtime
library that MSVC uses.  It does not support non-ASCII characters with
the fopen (or whatever SWORD is using) function, whereas libc on Linux
and Mac does, and even the runtimes with some other Windows compilers
do, such as Borland.  This is why the bug did not appear for users of
The SWORD Project for Windows.

Matthew's original solution, which is likely still in use, was to
patch SWORD to use calls to the equivalent glib functions in those
methods.  Obviously this is not a solution which is applicable to all
uses of SWORD, as most of us are not already linking against glib.  If
the fix is not already in the library, it will be necessary to #ifdef
in a fix which calls the Windows API for the file open methods rather
than the standard C functions in order for it to be usable by the
upstream SWORD calls.  Alternatively we could try to replicate
Matthew's solution with Qt classes for our own purposes if we'd rather
maintain a SWORD patch set for Windows.

--Greg