[bt-devel] BT doesn't start on WinXP

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Thu Oct 22 13:00:15 MST 2009

Matthew Talbert wrote:
>>> Sorry for not replying in context. BibleCS *does* use the registry,
>>> most notably for setting SWORD_PATH during installation (ironically,
>>> it ignores the variable itself unless you completely remove any
>>> modules from its installation directory). I personally feel that this
>>> is not a good thing, as it can cause (and has caused, in the case of
>>> another program that isn't quite compatible)  problems with other
>>> programs.
>> Based on a registry search and examining BibleCS's sourcetree, I'm not sure why you say this. BibleCS has never ever used the registry except in connection with the private protocol handler. There have always been a great many ways of telling Sword where to find modules, locales, etc., but the Windows registry has certainly never been one of them.
>
> So, BibleCS doesn't set SWORD_PATH? That inherently uses the registry,
> and I'm quite certain that you do set it during installation.

It sets the environment variable, if that's what you're talking about.
Environment variables can be accessed via Win32 registry calls, within
Current Session or some such tree. If that's what you mean, then you're
right. But setting environment variables is not what one normally counts
as registry use.

--Chris