[bt-devel] updating ui translations while building

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Sat Nov 21 01:33:16 MST 2009

Jonathan Marsden wrote:

> That's obviously incorrect; make should only do the actual compilation
> of each .ts file *if* the corresponding .qm file is out of date or
> missing.  So, that sounds like a makefile bug. Which means a cmake bug.
> Which means I can't help much (without learning cmake, at least!)...

> I'll check it out here under Linux and see if I can duplicate the issue,
> and also perhaps find the relevant bits of makefile / cmake code.

Replying to myself (!)... either there is something odd going on, or I
really don't "get" cmake, not even a little bit!  Maybe there is
something odd going on, *and* I also don't understand cmake!

I have a BibleTime svn tree in ~/bibletime .  Doing:

  cd ~/bibletime && svn update && ./build-debug.sh   # Build BT

"does the right thing" -- it builds the *.qm files.  So far, so good.
(It seems to create .qm files in the ~bibletime/build directory, and
then install those into ~/bibletime/install/share/bibletime/locale/ ).

If I then do:

  find ~/bibletime -name "*.qm" |xargs rm  # Remove any .qm files
  cd ~bibletime/build && make messages     # Recreate the .qm files

it does not rebuild the *.qm files (although the last line of output
from make says "Built target messages")!

So... how *should* I tell this build system "please do whatever you need
to do to build all missing or outdated *.qm files"?   I thought running
"make messages" was the right thing... either it wasn't, or I just found
a rather weird build system bug.

I'll play some more with it, hoping I can figure out how this is really
supposed to work, and what I am doing wrong, but I wanted to describe
this to the "real BT devs" just in case it *is* a real issue :)

Jonathan